Talks & Events
We are proud to offer free talks to our community on a variety of topics. Coping with loss through the holidays, recovering from grief and loss, the Grief Recovery Method®, pet loss support, and PTSD treatment are just a few of the topics we speak about. Feel free to contact us for further information about our upcoming talks and events.
Helping Children Deal with Loss – A Four-Week Educational Series | 2019 Dates
To watch a child grieve and not know what to do is a profoundly difficult experience for caregivers.
Yet, there are guidelines for helping children develop a lifelong, healthy response to loss. The Helping Children Deal with Loss series allows for an opportunity to free children from the false sense of “not feeling bad” and to empower them with effective methods of dealing with loss.
There are many life experiences that can produce feelings of grief in a child including,
- caregiver divorce or separation
- pet loss
- a change in schools
- loss of an important item
- the loss of a peer or a peer group
- romantic break-up
- academic challenges
- loss of trust, safety, or control, and
- loss of faith
These, along with numerous other losses, may result in many normal reactions within a child which may include,
- emotional and physical exhaustion
- loss of energy and motivation
- reduced concentration
- changes in eating and sleeping
- academic difficulties
- a rollercoaster of emotional energy, and
- irritability or aggression
Sadly, many caregivers feel at a loss when it comes to supporting these reactions.
We tell our children the same messages we were told when we were grieving including, “move on”, “keep busy”, “be strong”, “wait for time to heal” and sometimes, “get over it”. While our intentions are good, many of these messages do not reflect the actual feelings of the child. This misinformation can further isolate them in their pain and distract them from their healing.
The wonderful news is, no matter the reason or degree of severity, if a child you care about is grieving, the guidelines examined in this four-week series can make a difference.
Helping Children Deal with Loss is a supportive program that will provide you with the tools that will allow you to explore new ways of recognizing grief within your child and help them to heal their heart after loss. As you progress through the series, you will learn a complete a set of actions that will enable you to assist your child in moving forward in their life with a heart full of hope.
You will take new action within an environment of other caregivers whose children have experienced a loss.
The connections and empathy formed between caregivers who are all striving to provide the best possible opportunities for their children provides powerful feelings of togetherness and support. It is within this environment that you can take the brave steps of examining your current understandings and beliefs about grief so as to make room for new possibilities in your understanding of healing and recovery.
In this workshop you will have the opportunity to,
- Expand your understanding of what grief is and the various types of loss that can create feelings of grief in children
- Strengthen your knowledge of healthy grieving and coping in children
- Demystify and modify limiting beliefs about a child’s effective recovery from loss
- Learn to help your child communicate their emotional truth regarding their losses
- Share your thoughts and processes in a safe, confidential, and supportive space
- Identify the losses in your child’s life that are emotionally incomplete
- Deepen your awareness of your child’s level of coping and process towards recovery
- Identify the emotional and behavioural habits that are not serving your child’s healing
- Assume a new ability to empower your child through their recovery journey
- Take action to help your child emotionally complete a relationship over which they are grieving
- Develop lifelong strategies to relate to others who are grieving
- Renew your sense of hope in your child’s ability to heal and recover
- Feel heard and seen by others without judgment, criticism, or analysis
Sessions occur on 4 consecutive Saturdays from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm or 4 consecutive Tuesdays from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm at The Grief and Trauma Healing Centre office.
Our next sessions are:
January 15, 2019 – February 5, 2019
March 2, 2019 – March 23, 2019
April 9, 2019 – April 30, 2019
June 1, 2019 – June 22, 2019
Your investment for participating in the entire series is $195.00 ($25/hour).
Your investment includes 8 hours of facilitation and all workshop materials.
Helping Children Deal with Loss is not a drop-in style workshop. Weekly attendance and commitment are required for you to gain the most benefit. This workshop is for adults only.
For registration and payment, please call (780) 288 – 8011. Full refunds are available up until one week prior to the event.
Whether your child is grieving due to a recent loss or a loss from long ago, it is never too soon or too late to heal their heart.
Two-Day Grief Recovery Workshop | February 2-3, 2019 | 9:00am - 4:00pm
Grief is a deeply painful, lonely, and isolating experience.
- Have you tried everything to heal from your loss, but nothing has seemed to work?
- Do you feel isolated and alone in your pain?
- Do you often feel unheard or misunderstood when it comes your grief?
- Do you often hear from others that it is “time to move on” but you don’t know how?
- Do you desire to reclaim your sense of happiness and purpose in life?
- Are you willing to try a new solution for healing?
If you nodded a silent “yes” to any of the above questions, this workshop is for you.
When someone we care about dies, our relationship ends in divorce, or we experience any of the other 40 forms of loss, we often feel unprepared and ill-equipped to deal with our emotions.
A majority of us have not been taught how to heal our emotional pain after loss. Instead, we are told to “move on”, “keep busy”, “be strong”, “wait for time to heal” and eventually, “get over it”. This misinformation further isolates us in our pain and distracts us from our healing.
You may be experiencing some or all of the following normal reactions of grief,
- emotional and physical exhaustion,
- reduced concentration,
- loss of energy,
- frequent crying,
- changes in eating and sleeping,
- and a rollercoaster of emotional energy
Grief does not have to be a life sentence of suffering. There are actionable tools that can help you to move beyond the pain and heal your heart after loss.
Our experiential workshop offers you the opportunity to take new action within the safety, confidentiality, and comfort of a group of brave men and women who are all grieving various losses. The heart-to-heart group connection is a powerful force in our willingness to be vulnerable, courageous, and accountable in our healing. It is deeply moving to heal our wounds in partnerships and truly escape the isolation and loneliness that we feel.
Your participation in this workshop will allow you to,
- Expand your understanding of what grief is and the various types of loss that can create feelings of grief
- Deepen your understanding of the emotional, physical, cognitive, and spiritual impact of grief in your life
- Strengthen your foundation of healthy grieving and coping
- Challenge and modify limiting beliefs about effective recovery from loss
- Communicate your emotional truth regarding your losses
- Share your story in a safe, confidential, and supportive space
- Identify the losses in your life that are emotionally incomplete
- Deepen your self-awareness and your awareness in relationships
- Identify the emotional and behavioural habits that are not serving your healing
- Assume new ownership in your healing and in your life
- Take action to emotionally complete a relationship in your life
- Learn lifelong tools to complete other losses in your life
- Renew your sense of hope and purpose in life
- Feel heard and seen by others without judgment, criticism, or analysis
- Connect and bond with other men and women on a heart-to-heart, human level
Whether you are grieving due to a recent loss or a loss from long ago, it is never too soon or too late to heal your heart.
We welcome you to participate in our experiential, Two-Day Grief Recovery Workshop.
Your Workshop Facilitator
Your workshop will be lead by Ashley Mielke, the Founder and Director of the Grief and Trauma Healing Centre Inc. in Edmonton, Alberta. Ashley is a Registered Psychologist, Advanced Certified Grief Recovery Specialist, and the exclusive Canadian Trainer for the Grief Recovery Institute.
Ashley was called to her purpose during a deeply painful time in her life. After years of witnessing her father struggle with alcohol and drug addiction, he died by suicide when she was just 23. Ashley did not choose this work; this work chose her. In her deepest moments of sorrow, Ashley could not have fathomed that her father’s suicide would be her invitation to a life of service, purpose, and wholehearted living.
Since her father’s death in 2010, Ashley has committed her life to helping hundreds of human beings across Canada courageously take action to move beyond the pain caused by loss. Ashley leads with compassion, courage, and vulnerability and aims to inspire and instill hope through her story of overcoming. Nothing makes Ashley feel more alive and grateful than the opportunity to impact others lives through the shared human experience of loss.
Your Investment and Location
Your investment of $795.00 includes workshop materials (including The Grief Recovery Handbook by John James and Russell Friedman), coffee, tea, and healthy snacks. Additionally, you will receive an invoice that can be submitted to your insurance providers for reimbursement under “Psychology Services”.
You will receive an early-bird rate of $695.00 if you sign up by January 4, 2019.
The workshop will take place at our office (Suite #6, 9343 – 50 Street, Edmonton, Ab).
For payment and registration, please call us at (780) 288 – 8011. Full refunds are available up until one week prior to the workshop.